Sunday, January 9, 2011

Liquid Gold! Please, don't call A&E's "Hoarders"

I’m an “exclusive pumper” and have been since my daughter was about 2 months old.  She was a difficult nurser and I was having supply worries.  If you care to know more, I can explain later but I’m not going to use this time for that now.  Anyway, for the longest time when she was around 3 months I thought she was ready to take more than her usual 4oz, but she never did…until recently.  She’s been taking 5oz for a few weeks and I believe she’ll want 6 shortly.  The only “issue” with this is that when she only took 4oz, I was producing 6-7oz each time I pumped.  Let me do the math for you: that’s 2-3 extra oz each “feeding” session!  I would freeze 6oz batches with the assumption that, “She’ll be eating more soon and I’ll need this to compensate for what I’m not pumping.”  The 6oz I had so proudly produced and stored away turned into 12, which multiplied to 60 and presently, over 200oz sit in my freezer, ready and waiting to be eaten!  Yes, you read right…200oz.  It’s ridiculous I know.  My husband is NOT fond of it either!  But what was I supposed to do?!?  I consider myself a pretty smart pumper due to the research I’ve done, the length of time I’ve done it and the mistakes I’ve made along the way.  No expert, but smart.  I knew what I was getting myself into.  I didn’t want to diminish my supply though either.  I’ve backed down quite a bit because for one, it’s getting annoying and two, I have no more room in my freezer!  We had to put our newly purchased frozen vegetables out in the snow!  Good thing we live in Iowa!  I’ve dipped into my stash a couple times now to make baby food and for a couple bottles, so I’ve probably taken the total count to 186oz!  Woo!  Makin’ progress!

This isn't even all of it!

So what to do with this extra 100 or so oz?  Why not donate?  I’ve considered milk donation for awhile now.  I heard about it before I had kids and thought it was weird.  When I became a mother, my attitude changed and I couldn’t think of giving my child anything BUT the best.  Then, I read posts like this from my friend, Emily and saw questions like this on twitter.  It just gets me thinking.  My heart goes out to mothers who have to visit their baby in the NICU and I cannot image having to go through that myself.  Wouldn’t it be great to help ease their minds, at least a little?  I’ve looked into milk banks and there’s none around my area.  I somehow stumbled onto this site, Milkin’ Mamas and thought, “Perfect!”  Now I just have to come to terms with parting with my precious liquid gold!  Has anyone else donated their milk or used donated milk for their babies?  What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got lazy with the pumping after a road trip where it wasn't convenient, and just nursed for every feeding. If I had kept pumping and had your stash (awesome, by the way! And too funny about the vegetables!) I would definitely donate quite a bit and just keep on hand what I could use up in a few days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...