Saturday, February 26, 2011

Racheal Ray, eat your heart out! Or, just eat my meat loaf.

My first meat loaf, and it was delicious!  Nothing like your mystery meat school meat loaf.  It was so good, I can't get the lyrics, "I made meat loaf and I liked it....", after Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl, out of my head.

I'm not a huge meat loaf fan, but this recipe sounded different and delish (and then is was), so I thought I'd share.  Sorry, I don't have a picture because I didn't realize this meal would be blog-worthy until after it was eaten (twice, first right out of the oven and then again today for lunch.)  But who am I kidding, my camera s-u-c-k's and I wouldn't have a good picture of it anyway.

I got this recipe out of my new favorite cookbook, 1001 Short, Easy, Inexpensive Recipes.  I'm giving you the recipe, but know that where it says "2/3 cup", I see "dump some in."  That's something that Rachael Ray and I have in common, so just call me a professional chef J Plus, Cory doesn't like mushrooms so instead of cream of mushroom soup I used cream of celery.  Weird sounding maybe, but don't you remember how delicious I said this was!

Delicious Meat Loaf
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
2/3 cup dry Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1 (10oz) can of condensed mushroom soup, divided
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter

--I added--
1/2 lb sausage to 1 lb ground beef (instead of 1 1/2 lbs beef)
a squirt of mayo (probably 2 tablespoons, I don't know)
a generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese (close to 1/2 cup maybe)

Preheat oven to 350° F.  Combine beef, sausage, breadcrumbs, half mushroom soup, eggs, mayo and Parmesan in bowl and mix thoroughly.  Shape firmly into 8x4 inch loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes (I had to bake mine longer, maybe +15-30 minutes...I didn't really keep track.)  Mix butter, remaining soup and 1/4 cup water in small saucepan, heat thoroughly and serve sauce over meat loaf.  Serves 6-8.

1001 Short, Easy, Inexpensive Recipes

After reading over the recipe and all of my additions, it's a surprise it turned out so great.  I didn't know how much I didn't pay attention to.  Haha.  Hopefully it's good for you too, but to be safe you can just close your eyes while you cook and that way you'll surely be as precise as I was.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...